Rhubarb almond cake
Yesterday at the garden i picked a few rhubarb stems. My first ever! So today i baked a rhubarb almond cake, which i will bring with me to the garden tomorrow. I just had my first piece. Lovely!
I used this recipe from sugaryandbuttery.com as a basis. I did not use regular sugar for this, but erythritol, which doesn’t spike my glucose. I also used wheat flour in stead of corn flour. I don’t mind the gluten. I used my brownie 20×20 cm form.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 200 gr erythritol powdered (i use my coffee grinder to powder)
- 60 gr wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 200 gr almond flour
- 1 packet of vanilla sugar
- pinch of salt
- 3 stalks of rhubarb (this is all i had picked in the garden – was luckily enough for the cake)
- sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 160ºC and grease a 20×20 cm rectangle cake pan.
- Wash, peel and cut rhubarb, set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks, vanilla and sugar for about 5 minutes until light and creamy.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Carefully fold the almond flour and egg yolk batter into the egg whites, do not stir or beat.
- Pour batter in cake pan and sprinkle the rhubarb pieces on top evenly.
- Bake for 20 mins.
- Sprinkle the almond slices over the cake and bake for another 30 mins.
- Let cool or enjoy warm.