I try to make as much as possible myself. I have been making body butter for the past four years or so, last year i made calendula salve, detergent for the past five years, i recently made a night oil to put on my face before i go to bed. Moisturizer is a big step for me though. I have been buying it, the Total Effects 7 in One perfume free Anti-ageing moisturizer from Oil of Olaz. On Jetske Ultee’s website this is one of the recommended moisturizers.
In the Total Effects moisturizer mixture is niacinamide (vitamin B3).
Niacinamide is a very effective skin-restoring ingredient that offers multiple benefits for aging and blemish-prone skin. Among these benefits is the ability to visibly improve the appearance of enlarged pores, uneven skin tone, fine lines, dullness, and a weakened skin surface.
The Ordinary sells a 10% solution. It is not expensive, €5,90, so i might give this a try.
I did research for a starting recipe. I found one through pinterest which i have changed a bit. I’m sure this will take time to get right.
- Coconut Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Beeswax – 2 tablespoons
- Almond oil, Argan oil and Calendula oil – 1/4 cup together, most used is the almond oil
- Shea Butter – 1 tablespoon
- Myrrh, Frankincense, Tea Tree oil, Geranium oil, Rose oil – five drops of each
- Take a clean jar and put the ingredients in them.
- In a pan, heat water till it starts boiling.
- Place the jar inside the pan. Do not cover the jar.
- Let the jar remain there till the ingredients are melted completely.
- Once it is all melted, get the jar out of the water and let it cool down so that the cream starts hardening.
- The homemade anti-ageing cream is ready
This morning i bought four more essential oils: tea tree, rose, myrrh and frankincense (wierook in Dutch). I did have some other essential oils. The geranium one seems to have good properties for ageing skin. The peppermint is for my toothpaste. I recently bought some clay powder for my toothpaste. Still need to look up a recipe for that. I also have a small collection of oils: almond, jojoba and argan oil. In late summer i will make another batch of calendula oil.