Seven years ago i was diagnosed with diabetes. Since then i took pills. And for two years i have been giving myself insulin after i have measured a too high glucose in my blood. I also started to go to a dietitian again. Seven years ago i went to another dietitian, but it to my liking. The only thing i learned was to spread my meals a bit during the day. I also got a piece of paper with the traditional low fat meals on it. I never used it.
I have been talking with my current dietitian about my food. I do have a sweet tooth. I do enjoy bread. Potatoes. Pasta. The one thing i learned through reading online is that low-carb is a good type of diet for diabetes.
I talked with my dietitian about this and i have tried to minimize my carbs. With difficulty.
At the start of June, just over a month ago, i decided to really make a go with it. These are the rules from A Guide to Healthy Low-Carb Eating with Diabetes i follow:
Foods to Eat
- Meat, poultry and seafood
- Non-starchy vegetables (most vegetables except those listed below)
- Olive oil, coconut oil, butter, cream, sour cream and cream cheese
Foods to Eat in Moderation
- Berries: 1 cup or less
- Plain, Greek yogurt: 1 cup or less
- Cottage cheese: 1/2 cup or less
- Nuts and peanuts: 1–2 oz or 30–60 grams
- Flaxseeds or chia seeds: 2 tablespoons
- Dark chocolate (at least 85% cocoa): 30 grams or less
- Winter squash (butternut, acorn, pumpkin, spaghetti and hubbard): 1 cup or less
- Liquor: 1.5 oz or 50 grams
- Dry red or white wine: 4 oz or 120 grams
Foods to Avoid
- Bread, pasta, cereal, corn and other grains
- Starchy vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams and taro
- Legumes, such as peas, lentils and beans (except green beans and snow peas)
- Fruit other than berries
- Juice, soda, punch, sweetened tea, etc
- Desserts, baked goods, candy, ice cream, etc
I have minimized my alcohol ever since 2011. A year and a half ago i stopped drinking wine at home. I drank two bottles a week then. Now i occasionally drink wine or beer. Usually once a month. Longer even. Sugar, desserts, cakes and all, that is hard to leave standing. Really hard. still working on it. Coffee is hit and miss. The past three weeks i did drink coffee at home, with sugar and cream. I will go back to tea once the coffee is finished. Tea i drink with no sugar. Bread is difficult. Today i baked a new bread, with lots of eggs, courgette and coconut flour. I like it. I will try more recipes. I’ll keep you posted here about them!
I am happy i am an omnivore. It would be really difficult to eat low-carb as a vegan.
My glucose has been significantly less the past month. I just got to keep it up.