Vanilla Ice Cream and Salty Caramel Sauce
Today i made Vanilla Ice Cream. I searched for a good recipe. I do not have an ice cream machine, so that is something to keep in mind. On the BBC website i found a good recipe, vanilla ice cream with only double cream, yolks, sugar and vanilla as ingredients. Great!
- 2 vanilla pods
- 500ml cream
- 70g sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- slice the vanilla pods lengthwise in half and scrape out the seeds, keep the seeds apart
- add the pods to the cream, heat it up till it boils, add the sugar and stir it until the sugar is dissolved
- whisk the egg yolks in a large bowl, slowly add the cream mixture
- add the vanilla seeds, keep on whisking till it cools down, pour into a freezer-proof container and freeze for 2-3 hours
Keep the egg whites apart. I might make a meringue later in the week.
For a Salted Caramel Sauce i used Nigella’s recipe. I did look for golden syrup in the supermarket today. I had seen it before, but it was sold out. I decided i was going to use honey.
- 75g unsalted butter
- 50g light brown sugar
- 50g caster sugar
- 50g golden syrup – honey in this case
- 125ml cream
- 1 teaspoon of salt, any type you want
- melt butter, sugars and syrup or honey, let it simmer for a couple of minutes while swirling the mixture
- add the cream and the salt, taste to see if you have enough salt – please cool the mixture by blowing on it, it can be quite hot!
- put the sauce in a glass pot to save, keep it outside the fridge until it is completely cooled
When i made my Vanilla Ice Cream and Salty Caramel Sauce, the ice cream wasn’t completely set yet. I wasn’t going to wait! So i twirled the mixture a bit. The sides were frozen, the bottom was too. The middle was still a bit fluid. When it was all mixed i scooped out a bulb of ice cream and added the salted caramel sauce. Yummy!