Sauerkraut and potato mash with bacon and smoked sausage
Or the title in Dutch: Zuurkoolstamppot met spekjes en rookworst.
The weather here is not too cold, around 18ºC. But it is wet. Raining almost the entire day. So yesterday i thought about what i would eat, and this came up. It is a winter dish.
With the amounts i have it’s enough for three days, two days if you’re really hungry!
- 400 gr potatoes, crummy
- 500 gr sauerkraut
- 150 gr bacon
- butter for the mash
- a bit of milk, or in my case some cream mixed with water
- a rookworst (smoked sausage)
- a bit of broth
- a bit of mustard
- bake the bacon till its crispy
- add the sauerkraut to the bacon, add a bit of the broth and let it cook for at least 30 minutes
- add the ‘rookworst’ to the sauerkraut, leave it in the plastic
- after around 15 minutes, peel the potatoes and cook them for around 20 minutes till they are done
- let the potatoes steam off and either mash them or pass them through a potato riser
- add the butter and milk or cream and water and mix
- mix the sauerkraut and bacon with the potato mash
- slice the rookworst and add this at the top with a bit of mustard