Apart from preparing the beetroots and cooking the potatoes, this is a quick salad to make! The combination of beetroot and feta is great. The potatoes are optional. They do make a more filling salad. If you don’t have potatoes, a slice of toasted bread can be served alongside.
I do like to bake my own beetroot. It’s easy, you wrap it in tinfoil and put it in a hot oven for an hour. If you want, you can buy the already cooked beetroots in the supermarket, but you should try baking your own, it does taste better!
You may use the regular deep purple red beetroots like i did today. But you can also use the yellow beetroots. You may use the chioggia beetroots, but i do prefer these rasped raw in a summer salad. It leaves the color rings intact.
It’s hard to imagine someone not liking the taste of beetroot. I do love it myself. But, if you really don’t like beetroot, i’m sorry. I can’t think of another vegetable taking the place of beetroot. Better skip this recipe if you really can’t stand it!
- 1 beetroot
- 2 potatoes
- around 80 grams of feta
- a handful of rocket salad
- 1 -2 spring onions
- vinegar, white or red wine or apple
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 – 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of mustard
- fresh thyme, picked loose
- wash the beetroot, wrap it loosely in tin foil and bake for an hour in a 200°C warm oven
- after around 40 minutes, wash the potatoes and cook them for the remaining 20 minutes
- press the garlic, put all the ingredients for the dressing in a small bottle and shake the dressing
- put the rocket in a bowl
- slice the spring onions and add
- slice the feta and add
- slice the potatoes and the beetroot and add
- drip a few tablespoons of the dressing over the salad and toss the salad a bit